Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Keeping Busy

There's a holiday this week, so people get a few days off.  Since our friend has been wanting us to visit, we went to her village on Monday.  It was such a beautiful place.  We all had a great time!





Then today we went to a wedding, which is very different than the US...and even very different from what we were expecting.  Attending a wedding is basically just showing up for a meal.  We waited for a little while to sit, then we ate a quick meal (everybody eats super fast), and left.


I just have to say that I am so proud of Noah.  I've been particularly impressed with how he will just eat whatever is put in front of him.  He's always been good about trying new foods, but I've really noticed this the past few days.  Whether we're in the village or at a wedding, he will eat it, even though it's different and strange and new.  He'll always try it, and he usually says it's good (in whatever language he is spoken to).  When it's too spicy, he just looks at me and grabs his milk without complaining.  Sometimes I feel like I can learn a lot from him.

On another note, here are some things Noah has said recently that show me he's from here (and not the US):
- "May I turn on the dehumidifier?" (This may be his first 6-syllable word)
- "I want the fatty meat!"
- "Why isn't daddy wearing a seatbelt?  It's not safe!" (Trust me, we wish there were seatbelts!)
- (After an hour-long car ride) "My bum hurts.  I want my carseat."
- "May I throw it on the ground?"  (He's learned that it's sometimes culturally appropriate to throw bones or trash on the ground.  But he's also had to learn that the same rules do not necessarily apply in our home.)