Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Monday

Monday was an incredibly busy, but productive, day. I had great aspirations to make Richard's birthday special, but unfortunately, we spent most of it running around and taking care of life. In the morning, we trekked into town to do a mandatory health check, where we both got ultrasounds, x-rays, blood drawn, eye exams, and some other funky medical procedures that would've never happened in the US...all while passing Noah back and forth between us. Then we ran some other errands in town, including our first visit to the relatively new Carrefour. While shopping, I was impressed to find some nice salmon fillets, but they cost $7 dollars for a single portion, and I just couldn't bear to pay that much. When I told Richard about the salmon, he went to go look, and happily came back with a plate of scraps, which only cost $2.50. Anyhow, we arrived home exhausted from running around town....but we had no time to rest. We had gotten notice the day before that we would have a three day water outage because our complex was upgrading its water purification system. So we spent the afternoon doing laundry and cleaning up. Seeing that I was swamped, Richard offered to cook dinner (even though I was supposed to take him out to a nice dinner for his bday, which we decided to postpone). I felt terrible that Richard had to cook his own birthday dinner, but I was grateful. Needless to say, he cooked himself an amazing dinner of salmon scraps and veggies. Those of you who have eaten Richard's cooking can imagine how delicious it was...even though it was the scraps! This was our first time eating salmon here, and we loved every bite! Then we spent the evening doing dishes, cooking for the next few days, and storing water in every large bowl, bucket, and tub we had in the house. What a fun birthday for Richard, huh? I'll try to make sure the next one is better!

Here are some pictures from Monday.

Noah's really learning to get around these days!


Noah was excited for the salmon scraps too!


Having some engaging dinner talk with daddy.

Noah wants all of YOU to come visit!