Saturday, September 6, 2014

My Little Linguist

I think Noah is pretty gifted linguistically like his dad.  This afternoon, on the way home from a friend's place for lunch, here is a snippet of our conversation with the taxi driver:

(Upon hearing us speak English)
Taxi Driver: (in Chinese) You speak English.  I envy that.
Then the taxi driver kept turning around and staring at Noah.
Noah: (in Chinese) Hello.
Taxi Driver: Oh, can you speak Chinese?
Noah: (in Chinese) I can.
Taxi Driver: Can you speak English?
Noah: (in Chinese) A little.  (I gotta say, this response cracked me up!)
Taxi Driver: Well, surely you can't speak {the minority dialect}.
Noah: (in the minority dialect) What are you doing?
Taxi Driver: (in the minority dialect) I'm driving the car.  (switching to Chinese) Wow, he can speak the minority dialect too??  It took me three years to learn how to speak it!!

Ahhh, that's my boy!