One of the blessings of living in a place that is so drastically different than the US is that seemingly small things excite and impress me. People who have been to our town will understand what I mean.
Our airport is basic and simple. But over the past year or so, our airport has been making major upgrades: there's a KFC, cleaner bathrooms, and areas for people to use their computers. This morning, after going through airport security, I noticed there was a sign for a nursery (something I would've never noticed before having Noah). Since we had arrived early, I told Richard I wanted to go check it out. Of course it was tucked away next to the smoking room (which had its doors wide open), but at least it was its own enclosed space so it didn't stink of smoke. Anyhow, I was shocked when I went in: there was some nice sitting furniture and a play area. Apart from the used diaper that was open and left in the middle of the floor, the place was "relatively" clean. I know, this probably seems normal to all of you in the US (actually, it's nowhere near US standards), but this really impressed me (for our city). It's not that great, but it's something decently nice since it was a quiet, smoke-free place that I could change and entertain Noah while waiting for our flight to board. Unfortunately, I'm guessing it won't take more than a year for this place to become dirty and nasty...but I'll enjoy it for as long as I can. Here is a picture of Noah enjoying the play area (after I wiped down as much as I thought he would touch with antibacterial wipes)! =)
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
A Step Up
Posted by
esther