Saturday, January 1, 2011

Freezing Cold

The current forecast:


This morning started out like any regular Sunday morning, where we got ready to spend the morning at a friend's house. We knew it was cold outside, so we dressed in extra layers. We called a driver to come pick us up. One driver's car wasn't working. Another driver would take awhile since he had other customers, but we decided to wait until he was free. He called 15 minutes later to tell us that he too was having problems with his car and wasn't sure if he could make it to our apartment since we live on a slight hill. We were gonna be late going to our friend's house, but we figured we better start walking. First, down 6 flights of stairs...then we began our trek. Now we understood why everybody seemed to be having problems with their cars. The floors were covered with ice. The cars were covered with ice (and icicles!). The trees were covered with ice. Everything around us was icy. Carrying Noah, I tried to be as careful as I could...but I still slipped a lot. I was going to take our usual route through a tiled playground area and down two more flights of stairs, but Richard pointed towards the road. "That way," he wisely instructed. We took a roundabout route towards the road, where we joined handfuls of people walking in the middle of the road since the sidewalks were far too icy. After a 15 minute walk, 5 minute cab ride, and another 10 minute walk, we arrived at our friend's house. Late, but victorious since we were safe and hadn't fallen once despite many slips! Here's a picture of Noah and me walking on the road. Notice how the trees are drooping since the ice on the leaves makes them heavy. In case you're curious, Noah is wearing 5 layers, and I'm wearing 7.



A few hours later, the way home was similar: 10 minute walk, 5 minute cab ride, and then another 15 minute walk. I was hoping that the ice would've melted by now, but it was still freezing outside so the ground was still slippery. I wish it were snowing; snow would be far better than this "freezing rain" that is bitterly cold.

I know every parent thinks his/her child is the best, but I gotta say, Noah really is a champ. Our little boy, having missed his morning nap, managed to fall asleep while we were walking, even though it was sooooo cold. Here's a picture of Richard carrying our cute little sleeper home.



When we got home, our house was in the low 50s...tons warmer than outside. As I type this, my heater is able to get it to up to the low 60s. And my crazy husband went back outside since he couldn't resist the opportunity to take some pictures with his macro lens. I'm so thankful for my warm home and for electricity. I think we'll stay in for dinner tonight. :)