We're glad to be back, but the freezing temperatures made it hard to come home. Richard and Noah both caught colds...probably because it was such a shock to their systems. As a CA girl, I don't think I can ever get used to this. I miss central heat! I miss insulation! But I know this discomfort will pass and things will get warmer eventually. :) Over the past day, I've been writing a blog post in my head that goes something like this.
You know it's cold when...
- your olive oil solidifies.
- the honey in your pantry is completely hard.
- you run the heaters for hours and hours, only to get the temperature barely up to 50F.
- there's a layer of ice on the plants.
- the locals tell you how cold it is.
- parts of your apartment are 40F.
- your normally compliant child doesn't want to change or sit on the cold toilet seat.
- you only want to cook soup.
- wearing 4-5 layers while indoors doesn't seem like enough.
- your child wears 3 layers to bed (and uses a comforter) and still wakes up with ice cold hands. :( (We've since added an extra heater in Noah's room, which is helping.)
- you consider sleeping with your head completely under the blanket because the air in the room feels too cold.
Thankfully, our house is warming up a little now that we've been home for a few days. These cement buildings seem to become an icebox when vacant...but it's better now. We've gotten some of the rooms in our apartment up to the 60sF! I'm particularly excited since temperatures are supposed to be on the rise. Outdoor temperatures have been in the 30sF, but tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50s - YAY!