Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Farmers Market

One of my favorite things about where we lived in the US was going to Farmers Market down the street. It was so fun walking around, eating kettle corn, running into friends, eating samples of all the yummy fruit....ahhh, I loved it and miss those times.

But on Monday, when Noah and I went to the village, I felt like I was going to a REAL farmers market. My friend's family graciously sent us home with a bunch of their home-grown goodies. It's normal for these farming families to grow all the food that their family will need. Apparently, my friend's family said that they grow more than enough...and sometimes when they can't sell the excess, they just feed it to the pigs. Knowing this, I reluctantly agreed to be the pig ;-b and take some of their home-grown goodies. It does NOT get any fresher than this!


Here's a picture of all the stuff she sent home with another friend and me.  Pictured are sweet potatoes, homemade rice wine (which Richard likes to use for his Taiwanese cooking), pumpkin (or squash? I'm not really sure what the technical difference is), and sour, spicy fish that is a delicacy around these parts.

This same friend had already given me a pumpkin last week....so let's just say that I have a TON of pumpkin puree stored up in my freezer. Pumpkin is one of those things that I never liked in America, but began to love on this side of the world. Noah loves eating the pumpkin puree too and has enjoyed eating it for the past few days. He used to eat it a lot for baby food, but turns out that he still likes it! Btw, I REALLY recommend the Wholesome Baby Food website...it's a GREAT resource for all you moms! Today I served J's pumpkin pie bar recipe...and soon I'll have to make some super yummy knock-off Starbucks Pumpkin Scones (considering I didn't like pumpkin or scones before, I think the fact that I like this recipe says a lot)! But I do recommend cutting down on the amount of icing/glaze you make.

So come visit...and maybe I can take you to MY farmer's market...haha!