After 32 hours, we finally made it back with over 400 pounds of checked luggage and another slew of carry on luggage/strollers/car seat. Thanks so much for remembering us! The kids got a little cranky towards the end (understandably so), but otherwise did a fantastic job. The real miracle was that we didn't get charged for our luggage even though we were more than double the domestic allowance. We were so grateful!!
It's been great to be back (although I've definitely had moments of culture shock). We've been busy settling in, unpacking from the summer, unpacking from our move, fixing broken toilets and other random things around the house, remodeling our kitchen, and getting used to life here again. After about five days, the kids were over jet lag. They've been happy to be reunited with their toys and lives here.
Our big concern coming back was finding Noah a school. After going to the public school and education bureau, we decided that perhaps the door was closing on the public school option. Then it felt like the door was closing on the private school option too when Richard called and they said there was no room. I felt a flood of anxiety as I refused to believe that my son couldn't go to school this year. So I decided to go to the private school myself. I thankfully encountered some kind people and eventually, we secured Noah placement in the international track at the private school (it has English immersion in the afternoon, although we haven't decided if we will have him attend English class). Although this isn't initially what we were hoping for, I have a lot of peace about it and am actually excited. In addition to smaller class sizes and admin that accommodates foreigners, supposedly they have field trips, music and art classes, and cooking classes at fancy hotels....doesn't that sound cool? So we will see!! And for Caleb, we can send him to the same school, which also has a preschool. So I think we're all set!
Thanks for walking with us and lifting us up. I feel so covered...we're so grateful!!