I've been a little quiet on the blog-front lately...I guess it's been hard to find time to sit down and blog. I've often started posts in my head, but somehow they never make it to cyberspace. Anyhow, since our water is out, I have no choice but to leave the pile of dinner dishes for another time...so I figured I'd take advantage of the free time and blog some random babblings as an update on our lives.
We've felt busy lately. Last week, we had a teammate stay with us, which was really nice. Richard (as evident by his last posts) also went to the village last week, so it was nice for Noah and I to have the extra company. So we've had a bunch of people in and out of the house for meals and a husband on the road (hence no time for blogging). Unfortunately, Richard leaves again tomorrow morning. I hate it, but I guess it's just part of the job.
Even though it's tiring taking care of Noah on my own, I like having him keep me company while Richard is away. Noah has been SO MUCH FUN lately. I've been loving this stage. His vocabulary grows everyday (unfortunately, sometimes I'm not sure what he's saying since he's also been learning new Chinese words; a few days ago, he taught me the word for caterpillar!). He is such a sweet, sweet boy. If he sees that I hurt myself, he'll run over to give my ouchie a kiss. After dinner tonight, when he saw Richard lay down for a few minutes, he ran to his room to grab Richard a blanket to cover him. Then he proceeded to sing daddy the song that we always sing him before his nap. He says thank you and sorry more than I could ever ask for of a 2 year old. He'll thank me for something really small or say sorry even if he hasn't done anything wrong (but he thinks I'm sad). He'll tell us "love you" just because or make a silly face just to make us laugh. (And the icing on the cake: he's been doing great in his big boy underwear.) Anyways, we're having so much fun with him these days...I love it!
In the kitchen, I've been making all sorts of things lately...some new recipes, some old, some ok, some amazingly good. Here are some random food tidbits for anybody who feels like trying a new recipe:
- Meatballs - We've made this recipe a few times and love it! Nothing like spaghetti and meatballs to satisfy a pasta craving!
- I love naan. Tonight I made Indian food for dinner and with the help of my bread maker and pizza stone, made some awesome garlic naan. I got the recipe from my new cookbook (which also has my now-favorite pizza crust recipe).
- My friend M recommended that I try this mochi cake recipe. It reminded me of a cake my mom and I used to make when I was little. This cake was a big hit, especially with our Asian friends. I'd recommend cutting down the sugar a bit.
- For our guests last week, I made these blueberry muffins. Since we can't get blueberries here, I just used 1 cup of the Costco dried blueberries, and they turned out great! The crumb topping on this is SO yummy. Totally recommend this recipe (if you see how much sugar it has, you'll understand why it tastes so good).
- And because I live where I live, last week I also made tortillas, bagels, and a bunch of other "staples" to keep my freezer stocked and ready to feed hungry mouths. Good thing Noah loves sitting at the bar and "helping" me knead dough, prep vegetables, and mix batter...otherwise I don't think I'd be able to make so much in the kitchen! So friends, if you try a new recipe you love, be sure to email it to me! :)
Ok, enough babblings for now...since there's still no water, maybe I'll just go to bed! =) By the way, the sun has come out a few times this week! It's finally warming up...it's SO NICE! Today was the first day I didn't wear thermals...love it! :)