Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Diapering

*** WARNING: This post contains mention of poop. =) ***

When I first heard some friends talk about using cloth diapers, I thought they were totally nuts. I NEVER thought I would consider using cloth. To be honest, I thought it would be nasty. But cloth diapers have come a long way from what I had imagined, and I'm now a huge fan. Since good diapers are expensive where we live and not as easily accessible as they are here, we thought it would be a good option for us. Of course there are some drawbacks to using cloth diapers....and we only use them about 65% of the time...but we love having our Bum Genius diapers as an option so we're not constantly buying diapers.

While cloth diapers are undoubtedly more "work" than disposable since washing does take some effort, it's really not as bad as I thought. And flushable liners make it easy just to clean the diaper and flush the poop down the toilet. Cloth diapers are now marketed for all sorts of reasons: better for the environment, better for baby's bum, way cheaper, just as convenient, etc. Since I've been using cloth, I've been surprised at my favorite reason for using cloth diapers: the cute factor. I confess, sometimes I even match the diaper color with the outfit. A baby in a cloth diaper...is there anything cuter? :)